Skip to main content
Front view of the Capitol

Help with a Federal Agency

If you can't get an answer from a federal agency in a timely fashion, or if you feel you have been treated unfairly, our office may be able to help resolve a problem or get you the information you need. While we cannot guarantee you a favorable outcome, we will do our best to help you receive a fair and timely response to your problem.

Residents of the Third Congressional District of Colorado can contact us for assistance in dealing with Federal agencies. In order to better serve you, this form will generate a printable pdf document that you should sign and mail, fax, or deliver in person to our office.

Please include all pertinent information and claim numbers in your correspondence—such as:

  • Your Social Security number for a case involving Social Security;
  • VA claim number for a case with Department of Veterans Affairs;
  • Taxpayer identification number (Social Security number, if individual) for an Internal Revenue Service problem, etc.;
  • Your address, home phone number and daytime phone number (if different than home) so that we can obtain any additional information from you that might be necessary;
  • Copies of any related documents or correspondence that you may have from the agency involved;

Please Note:

The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. § 552a) requires that Members of Congress or their staff have written authorization before they can obtain information about an individual's case.
We must have your signature to proceed with this type of request. You will review, print, and sign the document after it's generated from the information you enter below.

Click HERE to Submit Your Casework Request


Casework Frequently Asked Questions:

Why do you require a Privacy Release Form?

Under the Privacy Act of 1974, a Member of Congress must have a written and signed Privacy Release From (PRF) before intervening on a constituent's behalf. The form must be signed by the person directly affected, and federal agencies do NOT accept electronic signatures.  

Do all Members of Congress Require a Privacy Release Form?

Yes. The Privacy Act of 1974 requires all Members of Congress to have a constituent sign a PRF before intervening with a federal agency on his/her behalf.

What will you do after I sign the Privacy Release Form? 

My office will begin an inquiry with the relevant federal agency and help guide you through the federal bureaucracy. My staff and I will advocate for you and ensure a fair and timely review of your case. 

Does the agency see my Privacy Release Form? 

Yes. Please provide as much information as possible, since it helps my office assist you in a timely manner. You can attach a PDF letter that details your situation along with the PRF. 

The agency will see your PRF and needs it in order to receive permission to act and receive information on your behalf. Rest assured we use a secure system, so your information is in safe hands.

Will supporting documents help my case? 

Yes. New and relevant information can be useful to the federal agency when reviewing each case. These documents will also help my office better understand your situation and how best to assist.

How long will it take to process my case? Can you expedite my case? 

Each agency has different processing times, but typically one can expect a response within 30 days. However, this varies due to the unique nature of individual cases. Federal agencies will generally not expedite a case due to a congressional inquiry. However, in the event of a dire situation such as critical health concerns or other urgent concerns (lost passport for an upcoming trip, burial, etc.) we can request that the agency expedite the case.

Do I have to live in your district to receive assistance? 

Yes. House Ethics Rules generally do not allow a Member of Congress to perform work for an individual who resides outside their congressional district. If you live outside my district, my office will be happy to connect you to a representative or senator who can help.

Can your office help with a state or local government issue? 

As a federal office, my staff cannot interfere in matters under the jurisdiction of local or state governments (examples include: DMV, CDOT, child support, public school issues, and local social service office issues). You can click here to identify your Colorado state representative or senator. 

What if my case is currently in court? According to House Ethics Rules, Members of Congress are prohibited from intervening or influencing any case under the jurisdiction of any court. I cannot offer legal advice or recommend attorneys. 

Can I meet with someone in person to discuss my case?

Yes. The caseworkers in my office would be happy to meet with you in person by appointment or by phone to discuss the nature of your case.

What can your office do?

  • Facilitate communication with federal agencies.
  • Request information or a status report on your case from federal agencies.
  • Request that an agency reconsider your case.
  • Help you navigate the federal bureaucracy.
  • Help you submit an inquiry to a federal agency.

What can’t your office do?

  • Compel a federal agency to act in your favor, speed up your case, or override previous decisions.
  • Conduct an investigation.
  • Provide legal advice or provide you with an attorney.
  • Influence or compel private businesses.
  • Interfere with state or local government issues. 
  • Intervene in judicial issues.